Over 620,000 soldiers died in America's Civil War: most of them from infections and diseases.
And yet in the midst of that great conflict, Abraham Lincoln spoke of the "better angels of our nature."
And when it was over, the Civil War defined us. Before the Civil War, it was “These united states.”
After, it was “The United States!”
In addition, the American Red Cross was born. Ambulances and hospitals were built. We begin our summers in tribute to our soldiers. We celebrate Thanksgiving every November.
And slavery...was abolished!
To quote Winston Churchill, all of these came from "blood, toil, tears, and sweat."
This time though, it is different.
At the beginning of the Civil War, America was divided.
NOW...THE WORLD...IS UNITED!!!
Here are ten examples of how the world is coming together.
1. Videos of people in Italy SINGING together from their balconies went viral this weekend. The best one is from Siena, Italy, where they sang a popular song about how proud they are of their hometown.
2. All across Spain, people went to their windows to give healthcare workers a huge round of applause.
3. A video of doctors and nurses in Wuhan smiling and removing their masks has been making the rounds on social media. China closed the last of its emergency hospitals last week after spread of the virus there finally leveled off.
4. For the first time, South Korea had more recoveries in one day than new cases.
5. After Disneyland shut down, they donated all their extra food to a food bank in Orange County, California.
6. Last week, we heard about a distillery in Oregon that was making hand sanitizer and giving it out for free. Now more distilleries around the country are doing it.
7. Internet providers are offering unlimited, free public Wi-Fi during the crisis. And the big phone companies are stepping up too. Verizon is pausing late fees. And T-Mobile is giving customers unlimited data on their smartphones.
8. A woman in North Carolina named Becky Hoeffler has been doing grocery store runs for elderly people to reduce their exposure.
9. A convenience store in Scotland has been handing out free facemasks and hand sanitizer to people over 65.
10. And a 17-year-old kid near Seattle named Avi Schiffmann started a website in late December that tracks coronavirus cases around the world in real time.
To quote Winston again...
"Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties...and so bear ourselves...that if the British Empire and it Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, "This was their finest hour."
The future world will say the same about us!
Steven Campbell is the author of “Making Your Mind Magnificent.” His seminar “Taming Your Mind, Unleashing Your Life” is now available on line at
stevenrcampbell.teachable.com. For more information, call Steven Campbell at 707-480-5507.