Annual award recognizes those who make a powerful difference in their community
AARP California is now accepting nominations for the 2020 California Andrus Award for Community Service, which honors a Californian age 50 or older who is sharing their experience, talent and skills to enrich the lives of others.
“Every year AARP in California is honored to shine a light on one exceptional volunteer who is making a difference in the lives around them,” said Nancy McPherson, State Director for AARP in California. “The Andrus Award is AARP’s highest honor, presented to a volunteer who embodies the principles of AARP’s Founder, Dr. Ethel Percy Andrus, who believed in the power of ordinary people to do extraordinary things.”
Nominations will be evaluated by the AARP California State Office based on how the volunteer’s work has improved the community, supported AARP’s vision and mission and inspired other volunteers. The award recipient will be announced in early fall 2020.
The 2020 California Andrus Award recipient will be presented with the award and a $1,000 check made out to the non-profit of their choice. The deadline to nominate someone is July 15, 2020.
AARP California Andrus Award for Community Service nominees must meet the following eligibility requirements:
• Nominee must be 50 years or older.
• The achievements, accomplishments, or service on which the nomination is based must have been performed on a volunteer basis, without pay. AmeriCorps VISTA and Senior Corps programs volunteers (Senior Companions, Foster Grandparents, RSVP, and Senior Demonstration Programs) are eligible.
• The achievements, accomplishments, or service on which the nomination is based must reflect AARP’s vision and purpose.
• The achievements, accomplishments, or service on which the nomination is based must be replicable and provide inspiration for others to volunteer.
• Couples or partners who perform service together are also eligible; however, teams are not eligible.
• This is not a posthumous award.
The AARP Andrus Award for Community Service is an annual awards program developed to honor individuals whose service is a unique and valuable contribution to society. Last year, AARP recognized 50 outstanding individuals and couples from around the country.