February 25, 2020
link to facebook link to twitter

City of RP Updates

Don Schwartz
Tread into a summer lifeguard job
January 25, 2019

The city is looking for people who would like to dive into the challenge of becoming a lifeguard or swim instructor. Our residents are passionate about our three city pools and we take pride in providing a clean, safe and fun place to cool off during the summer. 

The American Red Cross Lifeguard certification includes a pre-requisite skills test of a continuous 300-yard swim, 2-minute water tread and a timed retrieval of a 10-pound object in deep water. Sounds like a good fit for someone you know?

Mandatory training is scheduled for June 3-7 and the first day at the pool will be June 10. 

Swim Instructors earn from $12.50 - $13.50 an hour and certified lifeguards earn from $13.75-$14.75 an hour. Those interested in keeping Rohnert Park pools a fun place to be this summer, can apply online at

Sports Center bursts with memberships (and a sprinkler leak)!

The Callinan Sports and Fitness Center recently experienced a rupture in a fire sprinkler pipe that affected much of the center. We appreciate your patience as we dry out the impacted areas and replace carpeting where necessary. 

Brrr! when your shower runs cold

When the hot shower that you were anticipating wasn’t so hot after all, or when your heating ducts emit plumes of black smoke, you will likely need work done on your house that requires a permit. 

The state sets the building code for construction. While the state is responsible for keeping the standards up-to-date and covering new materials and construction practices, the state leaves the enforcement of the building code to cities and counties.  No city or county is exactly alike due to factors such as climate, topographic area or geologic conditions. These factors affect how standards are applied and why they can vary from city to city and county to county.  In Rohnert Park, the City’s Development Services Department Building Division is responsible for making sure those standards are met. That is why Development Services wants to remind you that they are available to help. You can rest assured that your home project was done safely and correctly by double-checking with our professionals. We all know that unpermitted work can be costly and, in serious cases, deadly. 

One of the questions our building folks receive most often is – “When is a permit required?” In general, permits are always required for any addition or structural modification to your living space. Electrical modifications, plumbing work (replacing the rusty old water heater), window modifications that enlarge openings and for mechanical system installations – all require a permit. Any work that modifies the roofline of your home, sewer system, or addition of a fireplace or air conditioning unit will also require a permit. 

Most cosmetic changes to residential building like painting, replacing carpet, installing hardwood flooring or wall panels (the ever-so-popular shiplap), applying trim, baseboard and casing, don’t require a permit. Replacing siding is often thought of as cosmetic but does require a permit. 

Contractors are also a good resource for permitting questions, but they may not be aware of all of these requirements. It is always best to contact the city before you start a demolition or construction project. The Building Division for Rohnert Park can be reached at 588-2240 or by email at or through the City’s website at

Friendly city survey launch

Our annual Community Survey launched last week and we’re looking forward to your responses. This survey is a valuable tool for us to learn how we’re doing in the opinion of our residents, what is working for you and what you’d like to see change. We welcome your survey responses at