News
October 19, 2018
link to facebook link to twitter
More Stories
Frightful, fun, free Halloween activities Public invited to give input on Downtown RP Site Scrappers Steal Win Rancho Cotate Band fundraiser BBQ New interim superintendent Cotati Chamber of Commerce Oktoberfest Big changes to big project in Rohnert Park Cotati approves tree lighting Students at University Elementary discussing the labyrinth R P Foundation gives grants to NOAH and Petaluma Bounty The Cougars defeat the Jaguars at homecoming RP local, Petri Alva, 14, a nationally recognized athlete Seawolves serve up a victory 3.0 quake shakes Rohnert Park Cardinals rout Cougars Fire storm anniversary Arrests and charges target Apple stores It wasn’t an easy fight but Rancho wins again Annie Rasmussen Celebration of Life Sidewalk repair gets big break from City of RP Lowerys help with campaign Cotati residents decry lack of enforcement Spreckels and Alchemia connects community RP Safety Dept. climbs in remembrance of 9/11/18 Another tough break for roller derby RP fireworks to be added to agenda Busy night for RP City Council Cougar to Bear — Simmons’ new pelt SRJC picks up local quarterback Third pedestrian struck by SMART train Little ones with big Polynesian dancing spirit Rohnert Park waiting for approval for canine program The biggest little parade in the U.S.A. celebrates the 4th It’s not quite tennis, nor is it pickle ball, but rather something in between. SweetPea celebrates 31 years Football in full swing, 3rd win Cotati votes opposition to oil leases 3.0 quake shakes RP Polynesia celebrated at annual Pacific Islander Festival SC neighborhood sues illegal pot grower Yes on Measure W will keep fire stations open 98 cited in traffic enforcement program RP Public Safety report card Emergency Alert System Test Sept. 10 & 12 Enjoying ribs A seed of thought grows into a peace garden: Burton garden completed RP residents provide input in police chief search Imitating major leaguers A taste of nostalgia – Penngrove’s Power Up! Event RP’s new interim police chief Forum hosted by WLV for RP City Council candidates Police officers inspect inside of car Cotati Accordion Festival still a hit after 28 years Kid’s Day Parade celebrates our hometown heroes March for the blind highlights need for more accessible sidewalks Kids and firefighters compete in RP Cougars slay Dragons Rohnert Park Bike & Pedestrian Committee adds new member How to help victims of wildfires Plan approved for Station Ave. park Revisiting those who lost it all: October wildfire victims still on the road to recovery New principals 2018-2019 SMART celebrates a year of service Penngrove native set for amazing voyage Back to school for Rohnert Park and Cotati Office of Civil Rights agreement closes investigation of special ed complaint Penngrove grassfire destroys buildings Supply giveaways lend a hand to families RP to host community forum for public safety director search Search still on for A&L Market robbery suspect A unique university for dogs: Bergin University makes Hatchery and Green Mill buildings its new home RP waits to make update to emergency alert system SSU names new police chief International students continue to flock to SSU’s Language Institute RP Health Center celebrates anniversary

Penngrove Community Church celebrates 120 years

  • The Penngrove Community Church, which is celebrating 120 years, at sunrise. Robert Grant

By: rene Hilsendager and Penngrove’s past and present
August 10, 2018

Early Sunday morning, during a smoke filtered sunrise, the Penngrove Community Church was ablaze with golden rays ready to celebrate its 120th anniversary August 19. There will be an open - air service starting at 10:30 a.m. followed by a barbeque at 12:30 p.m. 

One hundred years means centennial and 125 years means quasquicentennial; in other words, this celebration falls in between, but me not being good with fractions, I could not figure out the proper noun.

As folk lore has it, two brothers came to Penngrove in 1897 to hold tent revival meetings, usually at the corner of Adobe and Santa Rosa Hill Road which we now know as Petaluma Hill Road. Later a small church was built at the corner of Formschlag Lane and Santa Rosa Hill Road. There are many different accounts as how the acreage was acquired. Some will say it was donated and others say it was purchased for $50.

In the year of 1910, there was declining church attendance and the belief was, what if the church was closer to the middle of town? So, the church was placed on rollers and teams of horses pulled it to its present site at 9970 Oak St. 

Back in 1923 the Ladies Aid Society bought the house next to the church so the pastors had a place to live. In 1972 a new parsonage was built just a short distance to the south of the church and the following year the old parsonage was demolished to make room for a much larger parking lot as the congregation was growing immensely.

Ground breaking for the new sanctuary and Sunday School rooms was held May 21, 1955 and the cornerstone was laid June 23, 1957. The inscription reads: “Penngrove Church 1898, 1910 and 1957. Dedicated to serving the community in Christian service.”

The most interesting item to be found is that Penngrove was originally called Penn’s Grove and an article that appeared in the Petaluma Courier February 26, 1898 gave snippets of the new Methodist Episcopal Church. 

“The church is a tasty structure and has three handsome gothic windows. It will seat 200 people and 100 more will fit into the chapel. The interior is finished in natural curly redwood and presents a rich appearance. The walls are tinted and the interior of the church is completed. The Sabbath School has placed its fine organ in the church and nothing is wanting to finish the beautiful little house of worship.”