|RP police have advice on summer safety precautions
It can be easy to forget to close a door or window, but if they are left open it creates an easy opportunity for a burglar. The Rohnert Park Department of Public Safety offers a summer safety tips.
• Always lock your doors and windows especially at night and when you're away.
• Secure ladders and tools so they can't be used to gain entry into your home.
• Be wary of anyone who approaches your front door and don't let them take up too much of your time. Criminals work together; one will come to your door and distract you while the other sneaks into your home. Ask for an ID of a utility person.
• Be a good neighbor, lookout for one another.
• Excessive dog barking could be a sign of an intruder and may warrant a call to the police department.
• Report suspicious activity to the department's non-emergency line (707) 584-2600.
When going on vacation
• Lock up your home, activate your alarm.
• Don't broadcast your plans on social media.
• Hold the delivery of your mail and newspaper or ask a trusted friend to pick them up for you.
• Buy a timer for your lights and set them in a random pattern.
• Ask a neighbor to park in your driveway.
• Never leave your car running unattended, even to dash into a store.
• Always roll up your windows and lock your car even in hot weather.
• Never leave valuables in plain sight.
• Park cars in well-lit areas.
• Never leave any keys in the car or ignition.
• Never leave children or animals unattended.
• Always wear a helmet.
• Follow the rules of the road.
• Ride with the flow of traffic, not against it.
• Wear bright-colored or reflective clothing.
• If you're not riding, lock your bike.
• Parents, set parameters on where kids are allowed to ride.