Suspect in RP carjacking hangs himself in Marin County jail
Bookmark and Share

An inmate who apparently hanged himself in Marin County Jail was identified as the main suspect in the killing of a woman in Oregon, the carjacking of a man in Rohnert Park and the attempted carjacking of a Mill Valley woman.

Jeffrey Boyce, 36, was found dead in his cell on June 21.  Boyce was taken into custody in April after authorities said he carjacked a man in the Mountain Shadows Plaza parking lot in Rohnert Park. Boyce was trying to get to the Russian consulate in San Francisco to claim asylum. Oregon authorities confirmed Boyce was the primary suspect in the April 28 homicide of an Oregon woman, 57-year-old Kirsten Englund. Her body was found at Winchester Wayfinding Point on Highway 101, three hours south of Reedsport, Ore.

Boyce was on suicide watch because he tried to hang himself following his arrest. The Marin County Sheriff's Office turned the investigation over to the San Rafael Police Department and the Sonoma County coroner's office.

The situation in RP began late in the afternoon of April 29 when Boyce followed the victim, RP’s Valentino Sabuco, out of the UPS Store and banged his car window with a semiautomatic pistol. Boyce ordered Sabuco out of the car. He got into the driver’s seat and told Sabuco to get into the passenger’s seat. 

The victim refused to get into the passenger seat, so Boyce held Sabuco at gunpoint, made him get back into the driver’s seat and take him to Saint Elizabeth Seton Church on Snyder Lane. Upon arriving at the church, they discovered no one was there, and Boyce told the victim to take him back to the Mountain Shadows Plaza.

Once back at the plaza, Boyce removed several rifles from the rear of a truck he originally drove to the plaza and put them in the victim’s vehicle, and then fled in the victim’s car. Later that evening, Central Marin Police Authority received a call of a male subject who walked up to a women’s truck window and pointed an AK 47 rifle at her head and demanded her vehicle. The report said the suspect got spooked when he heard sirens and fled on foot. Officers were in the area and captured the subject a short distance away. The man was identified as Boyce, who was captured at gunpoint when trying to break into a home in Greenbrae.

Post Your Comments:
 *name appears on your post